Friday, October 20, 2006

Woe is Me

Yesterday I had my final reading in class for my script. Our classes end this week, and then we have one week off for pre-production, and then we start our production period. I don't shoot until mid december, so I still have a lot of time.

Anyways, I was changing a few things in my script in preparation for tomorrow, and it just wasn't happening well. I knew it sucked. It just didn't really read well. Not to my surprise, the reading didn't go too well. It definitely got me down.

It's frustrating for so many reasons:
1)I literally changed just a few lines, and cut some of the stage direction.
2) I really wanted to have a solid script this week
3) this awful rewrite illuminated the many holes and issues that I have with my script.
4)the previous draft read SO well.

It's strange, because unlike the physics world, I take this stuff personally. When someone says negative things about your work, it's like they are taking shots at you (but I know that's really not the case). Not to get too flakey, but this film is going to be me. It is the only thing that I'm working on, it's the only thing that I devote time to. When something becomes you, it sucks when it sucks.

Anyways, there is a cliche in screenwriting: every odd draft sucks. I think this is that other draft.

1 comment:

Roy said...

Homer Simpson: "They are the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked."

Don't get down - the final draft is what counts.