Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Why do they Call her Lassie?

During some auditions this week, the movie Porky's somehow came up. Don't ask. Ever since I watched it with my sister back in the 80's, before I could even get most of the jokes, I loved it. I saw it again a couple of years ago, and it still stood up, now that I could get most of the jokes.

Most people don't realize that although this film is like the platonic form of the American Teen Romp genre (American Pie is just a poor man's Porky's afterall), it is still considered a Canadian Film. In fact, it's the largest grossing Canadian film of all time. Err... It was. As of today, Bon Cop, Bad Cop has unseated the Champ of the Canadian Box Office.

Don't hang your head too low there Porky, your film isn't the domestic champ, but you're still the world-wide champ of Canadian film! I also doubt that frat boys and pre-pubescent boys the world over will be quoting "Bon Cop, Bad Cop" anytime soon.

I haven't seen this film, but from the trailer it looks like a typical American-style cop-buddie movie. The twist is that it involves a Toronto Cop and a Montreal Cop. I like the premise, but it just looks to be full of explosions and guns, which is cool if you like that sort of thing. I guess it's good to see people actually watching Canadian movies.

Has any of my Canadian spies seen this movie?

No comments: