Saturday, October 21, 2006

Is this Man a Musical Genius?

Although it broke over at Yin Yang, I got the new Weird Al Yankovic album, and it's AMAZING.

Something makes me feel happy whenever I listen to him. The new song that everyone talks about these days is "White and Nerdy", which is great. It cuts a bit too close to home, as I think I get way too many of the references. However, I'm going to propose that the best track is "Canadian Idiot", which is a play on Green Day's "American Idiot". That's brilliant.

I never thought that Weird Al could remain relevant these days, but he shows he's up to sending up anything. There is a great article in the usual music snobbery of The Village Voice, which as it turns out, is a Weird Al love in.

Oh Mr. Yankovic, don't ever change.

1 comment:

Roy said...

I'm not going to lie: I love Wierd Al Yankovich. I'm not sure if someone who satrizes pop culture can transcend into timeless genius, but due to the circumstances of my age (26) his music has matured at about the same rate as me (i.e. not much). I still love it today.