Saturday, October 07, 2006

More Film Prep Stuff

How do you make really good looking movies without spending a bundle on film? I've gotten to the point where I can tell the difference between film and video, and wow 35mm and 16mm film just has such a feeling to it. I've got no money to make my film, and shooting on film is a dream. What to do?

I went to a rental house today and checked out their 35mm adapter. Basically, it's a mechanical adapter that fits onto a regular video camera, which allows you to use 35mm film camera lenses. As a result, you get this great film look. What sets 35mm film apart from regular video is the amazing control of depth and focus that you get with film cameras. With the adapter, you can achieve that look, which gives you ultimate control as a director to guide the audience to what you want them to look at. Video usually has a huge depth of field, with everything in focus.

Once I took a look at this gizmo in action, I was sold. It's incredible, and I've made the decision to use it.

I think it's going to run me about $1200 to rent this sucker, but ultimately, I think it's worth it. For film nerds, check out the specs of the P+S Technik Mini 35.

No comments: