Thursday, August 03, 2006

Trailers for Books

Apparently, all the rage in the tough publishing industry is to make video trailers for your books. Get people interested in your story by showing them a glimpse of what the story's about, and hopefully they will go and fork over some cash for the hardcopy. The Times has an article on this trend. They get film students to make them on a budget. Cheap labour for the publishers, something to add to the reel of a film student. Mutually beneficial.

I actually did let the publishers know that I was interested, and they did send the three books over. Nice covers (i.e I haven't opened any of them yet). I still don't know if I will have time to even carry out the production of this trailer even if I won (which is slim), but maybe I'll try on whim. You've got to submit a script and a storyboard for them.

The books look to be geared towards young adults, and they should be sending a few more picture books. I think that will be more interesting.

No comments: