Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Best Ball Players Ever

At the game last night, they handed out those perforated carboard ballots that they usually hand out for all-star voting. I was like "huh? The All-Star Game was back in July!". Anyways, it turns out that it's a new list that MLB is trying to do: Who are the best players ever to play for each franchise?

An interesting list, which I can't even imagine beginning to compile, especially for storied teams like the Yankees, Red Sox etc...

As I was casting my votes, I realized that it's really tough to do this. I mean, there's no doubt that Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson etc... they were all great players. Or so I've been told. I haven't had the opportunity to really see them play before my eyes. Like I *KNOW* that Ken Griffey Jr is incredible. I *KNOW* that Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens are dominating pitchers. I guess, I wish I could have seen all of the 'greats' play on a field, such that I'd have a greater appreciation for them.

You can see the list here. There are a few interesting things:
- Greg Maddux doesn't appear for the Braves, but John Smoltz does.
-Randy Johnson doesn't appear for the Mariners, but for the Diamondbacks.
-Pete Rose appears for the Reds. Could this be a sign from MLB to let things go?
-Nolan Ryan appears both for the Astros and the Rangers.
-Marc McGwire doesn't appear for the Cards or the Athletics.
-Barry Bonds appears, which I think is great.
-The Nationals, I'm assuming also had the Expos past to draw from. Why wasn't Andre Dawson included?

Now for the Jays: Pat Hentgen, Roberto Alomar, Joe Carter, Tony Fernandez and Dave Stieb.
Joe Carter and Tony Fernandez are shoe-ins. Dave Stieb is questionable. Alomar and Hentgen definitely don't belong on that list. Alomar was a supreme douchebag. Hentgen wasn't dominating.

Because of these glaring ommissions, I wrote in George Bell(which should have been a no-brainer). I also think Fred McGriff, Jesse Barfield and Roy Halladay deserved to be on this list.

What do you think are the good choices, and not so good choices for your team?

1 comment:

Roy said...

Ah I can't resist...White Sox. This is off the top of my head as I don't feel like doing an internet search.

OF: Shoeless Joe Jackson

SS: Luis Apparichio, Ozzie Guillen

1B: Frank Thomas

C: Carlton Fisk

P: Ed Walsh, Mark Buerlhe