Monday, August 14, 2006

The Coolest Record Store in the World?

On a recent tour of the East Village, a friend and I checked out Hospital Productions. The self described "shrine for noise and black metal", which I am not a fan of either per se. I like my metal doom or death.

Anyways, it's a pretty cool little joint. You have to literally go through another record store (Jammyland), go to the back, climb down this rickety old ladder, **ask a guy for an egg, give a secret handshake, and say "Blaze in the Northern Sky", then this secret vault appears**. OK, everything between the ** is false, but you do have to go down a ladder at the back of some other store.

What you'll find there in the space equivalent to my bedroom, is bins and racks of noise and black metal (as advertized), and the helpful proprietor. The dude, who is also in his own band, is an all round good guy. Although they didn't have what I was looking for, some old Impaled Nazarene he had a good stock of stuff. I ended up buying some Wolf Eyes.

I wish duder well in actually trying to fill a niche market. Good for him.

No comments: