Wednesday, June 20, 2007

RIP: Old School Egg Roll


I've lived in a few different places in my years, and one thing that changes from city to city, is the Chinese food. Namely, the junk Chinese food.

People in these United States usually chuckle at the mentioning of "Chicken Balls". Please, we laughed at that in the school yard in Canada. We are so over that.

My biggest woe has always been the lack of a good egg roll. Not in Chicago, not in NYC, not in Germany etc...

They just don't make them like how they do in Toronto. Also, what's up with the lack of plum sauce? The philistines here use "duck sauce". Amateurs.

My troubles worsen: on recent trips back to Toronto, I've been seeing less and less quality egg rolls, and more and more spring rolls or the hated 'hybrid egg roll'. Even the old dinosaur of junk chinese, Manchu Wok is treading the dark path.

No comments: