Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Sarah Polley - Malick Fan


Growing up on the CBC, it's hard not to know who Sarah Polley is. She was in Road to Avonlea (the sequel to Anne of Green Gables), and was also a North York resident my same age. As it turns out, she went to school with some of my friends, but our paths have never crossed.


I've always respected her work and the roles she chooses. You perhaps know her from Atom Egoyan's The Sweet Hereafter or the fun Dawn of the Dead remake a couple of years ago. I personally loved her in the not too often seen My Life Without Me. You may not know that she was originally cast to be Kate Hudson's character in Almost Famous, which she walked away from.

Anyways, she's behind the camera now, and her new feature Away from Her opens up soon. Watch for a Snob Movie review soon.

The Times has an article on her and her life in the industry. What does she attribute to re-sparking her love of movies? Watching Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line.
“It literally lifted and carried me out of this depression, and I had no idea movies could do that"

No comments: