Wednesday, May 16, 2007

More HEP Hype

The Times has a thorough article (and video!) on the LHC at CERN. The author does a good job of tackling the importance of this machine, and what it means to the field of High Energy Physics, if not physics alone.

Many of my former colleagues are working on the experiments at LHC, and everyone seems hopeful, but kinda scared. I think people are well aware of the problems that will inherently come with a negative result on the Higgs Boson discovery.

Still, that time is a few years away, and we can marvel at the machines that are being built, and they are impressive. A few years ago I worked on ZEUS at DESY, and I remember the first time I got to ride the elevator down to the pit and saw the entire experiment. At the time, it was being upgraded (including the particle detectors we had built!), so I saw the entire machine, all several stories of it. Absolutely incredible that people can make such an incredible machine, so intricate and detailed. It's nothing short of a miracle that it works.

No comments: