Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Genius

I get accused of throwing around the word 'Genius' quite haphazardly. However, when it comes to Leonard Cohen, there really is no other appropriate description. The man seems to be coming out and making appearances as of late. Make no bones about it, he's got to push some records and some books, as apparently he got screwed over by his old manager who swindled him out of millions while Lenny was in a self-imposed exile in a Buddhist Monastery for years. What a guy.

But seriously, he recently got inducted into the Canadian Songwriter's Hall of Fame (yeah, I didn't hear of it either) and a bunch of good people were there, including my O.G., Willie Nelson. I'm not going to lie, I didn't really get into Leonard Cohen until the latter parts of his recordings such as The Future, and I'm not really a big fan of his really early work. I still remember the first time I heard The Future, I thought 'how the hell did this guy get a record deal with such a crappy voice?'. Then he grumbled 'It looks like freedom, but it feels like death, it's something in between, I guess'. I remember that album got me through at least two Toronto winters.

Maybe I tend to romanticize the tortured, but profound artist way too much, but why is he so cool for?!

Mr. Cohen accepted the award and promptly said:
"We shuffle behind our songs into the hall of fame, shuffling not quite believing that we wrote them but happy that you do....The brevity and poverty of these remarks do not reflect the abundance of feeling in my heart for you".

Shivers up my spine. Let's hope he never dies.

No comments: