Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Day I Met a Legend


Bud and Ian4.jpg
Originally uploaded by subatomicfilms.

A few nights ago, NYU hosted a screening of On the Waterfront, the landmark film from the 50's with Marlon Brando. It pretty much swept the Oscars, and changed the face of American cinema.

So, it was a real treat to see the screenwriter, Budd Schulberg there too.
He told some awesome stories about Brando, Kazan and the production, that they said would never amount to anything.

It was also very inspiring to see this 93 year old man, still going strong, and still writing.

On a more personal note, when I first started to get into movies back in high school, I kept on telling my dad to see a whole bunch of films. Most of which, he didn't like. One day he said, "why don't you bring home On the Waterfront", now that's a real movie".

I said "PSHT!" in my mind, I mean, how great could a black and white movie from the 50's be. Of course, I was wrong. It ushered in a new scope in my personal voyage through the cinema. Thanks Dad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay, this post doesn't annoy Anonymous!