Sunday, September 03, 2006

An Announcement

A Salt and Battery
A Salt and Battery,
originally uploaded by subatomicfilms.
One of my guilty culinary delights, is good ole Fish N' Chips. I'm gonna go out on a limb, and I will catch some fire for it, but I don't think Americans really know a good Fish N' Chips.

There was some great places in Toronto (The Queensway), including hipster upstart Chippy's.

Halifax, Nova Scotia had some great choices too. I found the places in London, England to be way too greasy (even for Fish N' Chips standards). With that being said, I imagine there are some great places that I just couldn't find.

Chicago was awful. Couldn't find a single place deserving mention.

NYC. The joint called A Salt and Battery (ZING!) came on a few recommendations. So I checked it out today. Halibut wasn't on the menu, so I got the Haddock. It was great. Nice batter, and just the right amount. Fresh fries. The kicker was the fried Mars bar. I'm here to tell you that there's something inherently wrong about deep frying a Mars bar, but friends, it's ok with me. I can feel my teeth rotting though.

At about $12 for lunch, it's a bit steep. However, whenever I get a craving for the F&C, I know there's a place not too far away that gets it right.

No comments: