Sunday, December 30, 2012

Ten Best 2012

I think I broke a personal record with the number of films that I've seen this year. I saw everything that I could. So, here's my list of the best features, non-English, documentaries and shorts that I saw this year.

Sure, some of them are done by friends. Sure some of them maybe didn't come out this year, but I can honestly say these are the films that made me feel (or think) the most. Above all, they motivated and inspired me to make work just as good.

(All in Alphabetical Order)

Ten Fave Feature Films

- Argo (Ben Affleck)
- Boy (Taika Waititi)
- In the Family (Patrick Wang)
- Killer Joe (William Friedkin)
- The Life of Pi (Ang Lee)
- Les Miserables  (Tom Hooper)
- Promised Land (Gus Van Sant)
- The Sound of My Voice (Zal Batmanglij)
- Wolf (Ya'ke Smith)
- Your Sister’s Sister (Lynn Shelton)

Ten Fave Non-English Films

- Amour (Michael Haneke)
- The Forgiveness of Blood (Joshua Marston)
- Holy Motors (Leos Carax)
- The Hunt (Thomas Viterberg)
- Mumbai’s King/ Mumbai Cha Raja (Manjeet Singh)
- No (Pablo Larrain)
- OK, Enough Goodbye (Daniel Garcia, Rannia Attieh)
- A Royal Affair (Nikolaj Arcel)
- Rust & Bone (Jacques Audiard)
- War Witch (Kim Nguyen)


Ten Fave Documentary Films

- Call Me Kuchu (Katherine Fairfax Wright, Malika Zouhali-Worrall)
- Central Park Five (Ken Burns, Sarah Burns, David McMahon)
- China Heavyweight (Yung Chang)
- Detropia (Heidi Ewing, Rachel Grady)
- The End of Time (Peter Mettler)
- The House I Live In (Eugene Jarecki)
- How to Survive a Plague (David France)
- Only the Young (Elizabeth Mims, Jason Tippet)
- Queen of Versailles (Lauren Greenfield)
- Samsara (Ron Fricke)
- Searching for Sugarman (Malik Benjelloul)


Ten Fave Short Films

- Belly (Julia Pott)
- Burn to Send (Andinh Ha)
- Edmond Was a Donkey (Franck Dion)
- The Factory (Aly Muritiba)
- Hellion (Kat Candler)
- I am John Wayne (Christina Choe)
- Local Tourists (Doug Lenox)
- The Maker (Christopher Kezelos)
- Remember Me My Ghost (Ross McDonnell) (Documentary)
- Videoboy (Stian Kristiansen)

No comments: