Sunday, June 15, 2008

Get a job, Class of 2008!


IMG_7387.jpg
Originally uploaded by subatomicfilms.

I remember when I graduated from YorkU back in 2002, the speaker at my commencement was astronaut Marc Garneau (whom apparently has made a bid for politics recently. Thankfully, he didn't win. Scientists that want to be politicians scare me). That was kind of cool. But let's be honest, most commencement speeches are incredibly boring especially when they venture into political territory. If it's not political, they can all be summed up by "good job, believe in yourself, you are awsome, etc..."

The Times put together a page of excerpts from commencement speeches this year, and surprise surprise, most of them suck. The only words that ring true to me were given by, of all people, Clarence Thomas: "As those of us who take responsibility for our lives, and don’t blame others, know only so well, life has a way of humbling, if not humiliating us."

No comments: