Friday, July 21, 2006

In Defense of Critics

I've always felt that one of the professions that people love to hate is the movie critic. Who the hell does Roger Ebert think he is to pass judgement on any thing? A.O. Scott (the critic from the Times) wrote a really nice piece about the role of the critic in modern times.

I feel that people over estimate how self-important the critics feel that they are. Most readily admit that they are just folks with opinions, that love movies.

Also, I think it's important for people to find a critic that shares their same taste. Critics have to sit through so many movies, most of them bad, so when something comes across that they collectively champion, I tend to listen. However, I don't lose the fact that they are just folks voicing their opinion.

No comments: