Saturday, July 08, 2006

Brethren and Sistren

This week's Time Magazine has a really cool article on siblings.

In general, research is finally exploring just how much of an impact our siblings have on us. Parents die, spouses come along later in life, so the only people that are usually around us for our entire lives are the brothers and sisters.

It's a good read, but what interested me where the studies of brothers with older sisters (like myself) or sisters with older brothers:

"The guys who had older sisters had more involving interactions and were liked significantly more by their new female acquaintances," says Ickes. "Women with older brothers were more likely to strike up a conversation with the male stranger and to smile at him more than he smiled at her."

I'm not sure if this is always the case, but there is no doubt that what I know about the fairer-sex (which is admittedly not much), I learned from my sister.

No comments: